Quick Nachos (With Real Cheese)


I was doing my usual Costco run the other day and they were sampling these Veggie chips that look like Tostito Scoops. "What makes them veggie?" I asked. I hadn't even planned on sampling them until she said "kale and broccoli" and I perked right up. Hmmm what's that now, kale you say?  Now, I realize these are essentially just corn tortilla chips with like a tenth of a gram of any remotely healthy vegetable... but that's a tenth of a gram that I won't have to fight about with my kids. Plus they were on sale for $3.69 a bag, a huge Costco sized bag, so that pretty much made up my mind. I used them to whip up these quick (super tasty) nachos.  I didn't revolutionize nachos or anything, mostly I needed to break up all the Silhouette Cameo posts I'm working on!

The filling was a copycat of the bean dip I featured in this post, which was a real hit at Super Bowl and my son's birthday party.  I just used what I had on hand so the proportions are not exact, lots of room to experiment.

For the filling, combine a half can of refried beans, half a can of black beans, approximately 1oz. of cream cheese (or a blob of sour cream) and a few shakes of taco seasoning. Microwave 1-2 minutes and stir to combine well. The filling should be warm before it goes in the oven. 

Spread the chips on a cookie sheet and fill with about a teaspoon of filling, top with shredded cheese and broil to melt the cheese. 

I jokingly refered to these a "white people nachos" - is that terrible?  I'm white, does that make it any better?

I made them again the next day and got to thinking you could also put some fancy schmancy fillings in these little cups and have yourself some cute hors d'oeuvres.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated!