My New Go-To Muffin Recipe (Made With Oats, No Flour)


Yay - you have just found THE BEST no-flour muffin recipe!  I must give credit where credit is due, I found this on Pinterest from Keeping Up With the Joneses (you can go there for the original recipe).  This is my adaptation which I make regularly for my one-year-old.  It is basically the same but with a sugar alternative, and less of it, and some options for the yogurt in case you don't have it.  This version is too bread-like for my older kids who expect a muffin to taste like cake, but the baby loves 'em and my husband and I like 'em too, especially with a pat of butter and maybe a little jam...



I have made these many times and with several substitutes:  I have used both rolled oats and the TJs QuickCook Steel Oats which definitely gives it a more "whole grain" texture.  I have used sour cream and buttermilk in place of the Greek yogurt.  I have also used TJs Apricot Mango Greek Yogurt instead of plain which was tasty.  I have used chopped (not mashed) banana, and ripe-but-not-black bananas...  You could even add some flax and nutritional yeast and turn these into LACTATION MUFFINS or just super duper healthy muffins (flax, yeast and oats are the holy grail of milk-production, ya know).  Once they're out of the oven and cool, I put them in a big ziplock straight in the freezer because baked goods keep fresh that way.  Then I microwave the muffin for about 45-60 seconds, or just leave it out at room temperature for a few hours.  Sometimes I put a frozen muffin in my daughter's lunch and it's just right by lunchtime.


Flourless Muffins

  • 2 1/2 cups olf-fashioned oats, blended to a flour consistency
  • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, sour cream or buttermilk (full fat is best for babies)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (or try raisin puree* which is a fantastic sweetener!)
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp soda
  • 2 bananas (or around 1 cup pumpkin or sweet potato puree)
Preheat oven to 400.  You can mix everything in a blender or food processor (oats first) or just blend the oats and stir everything by hand.  Blend oats and baking powder/soda.  Add eggs, dairy, sweetener and fruit 'til combined.  Spray muffin tins or use foil liners (paper liners stick really bad).  Fill almost all the way up!  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until they're smelling good and they're not wet in the middle.  Cool and store in the freezer!

* To make raisin puree just plump some raisins in hot water for a few minutes, then drain the water and blend the raisins with the rest of the ingredients (or by itself).  You could leave the raisins whole but it wouldn't add as much sweetness that way.  You probably need less raisin puree than sugar is called for, so start light and just keep tasting the batter.


You might want to check out some of the other recipe filed under "baby food" or "healthy recipes" over there on the right -->
Or, check out my Facebook page for even more recipe links and baby/toddler activities, and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated!